Sunday, September 26, 2010

Union yes!



I grew up in a neighborhood with families protected, in part or directly, by a workers union. I saw many men missing fingers, limbs, or an eye from their pre-union career. Business has a priority to it's stockholders and the bottom line. Workers get safety, security, and paid time off only because they are part of a fraternity of friends or because their employer wants to keep that fraternity out. Either way, the union is why. Things must have been pretty bad for men, who lived through the depression, to risk all to change it. I am most proud that my grandfather was one of the men who helped start the UAW. That middle class was most responsible for America's post war prosperity.Without it the only thing I can see is what I saw in south America, a huge void between a few wealthy and many poor.

No comments: