Thursday, October 7, 2010

Another Sam Adams please!



I’ve been struggling with a one man play about Sam for a while.
I think my interest started when I was doing a lot of speaking to large groups of people, usually in character with scripts by my friend Jon Lipsky. 
I love Jon and his knack for making history and information accessible is unequaled.
But I couldn’t afford Jon so I started thinking about the minimal history I have with Sam Adams brewer Jim Koch. Jim was starting his now wildly successful company and I was managing a bar next to the photographer who was helping design his label.
Jim gave me some bottles with type written labels, I tasted them and ordered right then and there.
His first sale. I think.
Before I could approach Jim with my hand out,
I needed to do the research and write an outline for the pitch.


That was a while ago. Very long while ago. 
The frustrating thing is Sam was concerned he might get his friends hanged so he burnt all of his writing and correspondence.
 He has also been the victim of bad press from early biographers.
(Untrue and poorly researched)
He also didn't care about his place in history. He just wanted it done.
He was also overshadowed by cousin John and Ben Franklin. 
Both of whom came way late to the game and were very interested in their legacy!


But Sam was the firebrand. 
Ahead of the crowd and could not be bought or dissuaded. 
He risked all when John, Ben, and most everyone else were hedging their bets and afraid to take a stand. They must have thought him mad. There were some early life lessons that may have led Sam to get radical before everyone else, but I’ll save that for the play.


Sam Adams became my personal hero then and there. He didn't bow to kings, he didn’t bow to money, and he didn’t bow to public opinion.
He knew right was right and eventually everyone knew he was right.


He was the first American advocate of hope and change.
The first radical liberal and true progressive.


Is it any wonder why I get heated when I see Republicans wrapping themselves in the flag, donning tricorns, and picking up the drum & fife?


Put away that flag you revisionist posers! You were the Loyalists/Tories! 


The conservative thing to do was to protect your interests and siding with the crown was where the money was.


It’s where the money is now. 


Republicans knock idealism, hope, and change. 


So when you get sucked into a debate with Fox “News” watchers, remember Sam. 


Who better to side with than the founding father who had genuine ideals, stood his ground because his heart was right, and saw that a country could be built for generations on hope and real change.

No comments: