Monday, October 4, 2010

Secession now!!

What if Lincoln was wrong? 


I worked a job that required me to research American history for many years and I wound up a pretty enthusiastic if not good historian.
Like many Americans, what turned me into a history buff was the Civil War Series by Ken Burns.
I recently re-watched it. The feeling I always have after the conclusion of that comprehensive series is great sadness and a sense of the futility of such a war. It was the bloody price paid for the compromise on slavery during the revolution.
Like with any unpaid bill the interest was huge and as historian Barbara Fields says, "It's not over, we're still fighting it, and it can still be lost.


We appear to be almost as divided as we were then, I thought, why not?   Let's lose.

I got some heat for a comment I made about nothing good ever coming out of the south.  
Further qualifying it by saying any southerner worth his salt came north and if I met you it was in the north.  
“Frank, desperately shallow. Desperately” said a southern man, WHO WENT TO UNIVERSITY IN THE NORTH!”  
I was being simplistic and absurd, slightly. 


We have a line already laid out (Mason-Dixon) and if we are to agree to disagree why not an experiment.


Abolition was a progressive idea. Slavery was a necessary evil  for economic reasons. 
It was the conservative thing to do and the current conservative movement in America has more in common with the CSA than the America forged by every major event in American history from both (or all ) parties.

What if we had split along the Mason Dixon line and become two separate nations?

A list of conservative assets for one. Fundamentalism, Creationism, Libertarianism, protectionism, no government services, corporate tax shelters, free guns, banjo lessons, etc.


The Progressives can keep progressive educational and social programs, free medical care, diplomatic relations with the rest of the world, all those Ivy League elitist universities and all that wacky science stuff from the north that led to things like the moon landing ,  breakthroughs in medicine from those elitist medical schools, stem cell research, Al Gore’s internet, etc.


Two countries. Let's see who thrives.


They can still call themselves America and fly Old Glory.


We can choose a cool new name like Dave and fly a flag with a big arrow pointing down that says, "I'm with Stupid."


I know what your saying, "Buddy, I'm living down south and I'm a liberal." 
You can stay as a resident alien. 
Same for conservatives in the north. 


But I suspect after the the neighbors start leaving brand new trucks up on blocks, setting up revival tents and speaking in tongues to you in the south and womyn's drum circles and LGBT mosques appear in the north, you'll both want to move.